A very special dessert made in Milan last Sunday, which coincided the Valentine’s Day. It’s the third trial and the best. The meringue was soft with a slight sweetness. It’s perfect together with whipped cream and fruits. Well, chilly winter and a day to celebrate love.
The last time I made it is June 2009. It was placed in the refrigerator overnight. The texture was not as soft as the latest’s. This time, I baked it in the morning and let cool in the oven until it was served. Soft and velvet meringue melted in mouth. It’s divine!
One is exclusively for a friend who loves meringue. I shared one with another friend. We were satisfied and spoiled.
4 large egg whites at room temperature
130g castor sugar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
Frozen fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and draw 2 7-inch circles.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks forms.
- Beat in sugar to the egg whites, one teaspoon at a time.
- Continue to beat the egg whites until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Fold in gently the cornstarch and vinegar.
- Fold in the vanilla extract.
- Spread the meringue in the circle on the baking paper.
- Bake it for about 1.25 hours or until pale egg shell color.
- Leave the door slightly ajar to cool it completely.
- Remove it from the baking paper and place on a plate.
- Whip the cream until it forms peaks.
- Gently spread the cream and arrange the fruits on top.