I had been hoping that Friday would be a day off since the news on Monday that a typhoon might be the nearest to Hong Kong by Friday. Friday has gone and worked as normal. My plan of making this chocolate banana mousse cake has to take place on a Saturday. I woke up far too early in the morning, before 7am. Soon after to become busy of baking a chocolate sponge cake, cooking caramel banana, making banana mousse, doing exercise and lastly the chocolate mousse.
Publishing it on Sunday and Happy Birthday to Berta!
400g chocolate sponge cake, cut into half horizontally.
Butter 20g Sugar 25g Banana 160g Brandy 10g
- Cook the sugar until it caramels. Add butter and blend well.
- Add sliced banana. Add brandy and cook 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Layer the caramel banana onto the halved sponge cake.
Banana puree 60g Lemon juice 7g Brandy 3g
Cream 120g sugar 33g Water 10g Egg white 35g
Lemon zest, 1 lemon Gelatin sheet 3g
- Whip cream till 70%.
- Mix with banana puree, lemon juice, lemon zest, brandy.
- Beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Heat water and sugar till boiling. Pour it into the whipped egg white to produce Italian meringue.
- Add it to the cream mixture and blend well.
- Add melted gelatin and mix well.
- Pour it onto the sponge cake with caramel banana. Refrigerate.
Water 35g sugar 25g Egg yolks 44g
65% chocolate 130g Cream 290g Gelatin sheet 6g
- Melt chocolate.
- Whip cream to 70%.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Cook water and sugar till boiling. Add it into the egg yolks.
- Then add it to the whipped cream.
- Add the melted gelatin.
- Pour half of the mixture on top of the banana mousse.
- Layer the other halved sponge cake on top.
- Spread the rest of the banana mousse on top.
- Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Sprinkle cocoa on top.